1. Install and launch the free Gmail app from the App Store.
2. Sign in to your Gmail account(s).
3. Enter the Gmail app's settings screen by first swiping in from the left, then tapping the 'Gear' icon at the top.
4. Ensure that Notifications are set to 'All New Mail' or 'Primary Only'.
5. Launch the Settings app and tap 'Mail, Contacts, Calendars'. Configure the same Gmail account(s) if not already configured.
6. Under 'Fetch New Data', set your Gmail account(s) to 'Manual'.
7. In the Settings app, tap 'Notification Center' and then 'Mail'. Make sure notifications for your Gmail account(s) are enabled.
IMPORTANT - You may need to reboot your device after configuring your account(s) in order to receive push messages.
IMPORTANT - Do not uninstall the Gmail app. Doing so will cause push messages to no longer be delivered.